Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Vegan MoFo #3 - But I love cheese...

I will probably post more about cheese.  A recipe with cheese.  A picture of gooey, melty cheese.  Something(s) involving cheese.

Oh, but it won't be cheese that came from an animal.  It won't be coagulated cow's milk cheese.  No rennet.  No casein.  The cheese I speak of is completely, positively, 100% plant-based.  And it's gooey, it stretches, and it's incredibly delicious.

So, since almost everyone loves cheese, we'll start small and work our way up throughout the month.  Everyone should know that you can enjoy your favorite cheesy foods - nachos, pizza, mozzarella sticks - without the cholesterol or the cruelty.  So if you're not aware of the numerous vegan cheese options, keep an eye out and just know: you're about to be enlightened.  Cheese and vegan can go together like rama-lama-lama-kadingiddy-ding-dee-dong. (or whatever.  I did Grease back in high school, it's been awhile.)

My favorite vegan/plant-based cheese?  Why, it's Daiya, of course!  Daiya comes in three flavors currently (in shreds): mozzarella, cheddar, and pepperjack.  

In addition to being casein, whey, and lactose-free (because no mammal milk is involved!), Daiya's cheeses are also free of soy, gluten, eggs, rice, peanuts and tree nuts (except coconut oil). That's a tasty way to stay allergen-free.

I used to eat shredded animal cheese right out of the bag.  I do that occasionally with Daiya.  Nostalgia, with compassion and health in mind this time around.  I mainly melt it on stuff though.  Everything.  Food, I mean.  But I guess you can melt it on other stuff too.

I love cheese.



All the best and yummiest to you.


2 comments: